Saturday 21 November 2015

Depression: If only they knew

The most dangerous path of depression is where you can't shed even a tear, try as you might. Rather, it manifests itself in you and much as you seek release, it threatens to explode within you, very much like a pressure cooker without an outlet for the steam.

You lay in bed for days without a bath and brushing your teeth is a luxury you enjoy soon as you can summon the strength to bring your arms up to lift that darned toothbrush.

You will yourself to cry, yet nothing happens. You are deadwood.

Loved ones take you to the doctor, not realising, never realising, that the problem is at once spiritual - a regeneration or an awakening, if you like. A shedding of old habits and practises. Never realising what it is. Never realising that this is happening because old habits and practises just don't work anymore.

If only.

If only they bring their loved ones to the Gurdwara with faith, hope and love.

What does one expect in the Gurdwara then?

Some say do naam simran. Some say do seva. Some say sit with the sangat. All these rang true for me.

Yet there is only one answer. Just reach the Gurdwara door and Guruji takes over from there.

It took me 6 months. Mainly because I distrusted any human being. Mainly because I had been graced with the knowledge that this "problem" was spiritual.

One anecdote: I sat in the Gurdwara once moaning my existence and a sevadar asked nobody in particular to help mop the main floor. I looked around. Nobody responded. I got up reluctantly and was handed the mop.

A surge of energy ran through me as I mopped and before you know it, I had mopped the entire floor - not just the main part. I was flushed afterwards. Sure the job appeared meaningless and my problems weren't solved outwardly - yet.

Yet I felt like a million dollars.

I had initially trudged heavily to the Gurdwara only to skip home in elation as I left the Gurdwara grounds.

Hand it over to Him. Have patience. Stay humble. Pray. You never know when chardi kala might make its way to you :)

Gur parsaad param pad paa-ia
Sooke kaast haria

No comments:

Post a Comment