Saturday 21 November 2015

Forsaking all other doors, I have come to your door

It is 6 a.m. Vin switches on her computer as she is wont to do each morning as she gets up. She checks her email. 7 new messages in her inbox. She scans through her mail - mostly junk - before settling on her favourite: her astrology report for that morning. 

This computer generated astrology report is initially regarded as harmless, of entertainment value, to set the tone for the day. 

Unbeknown to Vin, this harmless piece of email can take her onto a path of destruction without her even knowing it. 

It happened to me. 

What started as a "let's guess what's going to happen today" took me to a whirlpool of addiction and destruction - all in the name of foretelling the future. 

I began to depend more and more on astrology reports, and as what it predicted rang true, I began to believe in the authenticity of it. It became a replacement guru for me. 

It had come to a point where I would lead my life according to what the report predicted for me.

When you are stuck in a whirlpool, nothing can save you. No person is going to come with a spiritual stick and lend you a hand. So I fought my own battles within the maze. A battle where I listened to my heart, fought with illusion which threatened to spiritually blind me. 

I lost. I died a spiritual death.

So did the Light within me that was incandescent at first. 

Yet all was not lost. I hung on to a faith I didn't know was ingrained in me. His compassion brought me to the door of our Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji where I hung out for 6 months before He rekindled the Light in me. 

I was no longer a walking, talking, piece of clay. I was Light. And I was His. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment